Smoked Chili Con Carne Recipe
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Learn how to make a perfectly seasoned Smoked Chili Con Carne, complete with smoked steak, bacon, and pork ribs. The vegetables in this recipe are also smoked, ensuring an all around robust flavor.
PREP 30 mins COOK 4 hours 30 mins READY IN 5 hours
- Smoked Meat:
- 3/4 cup pork dry rub
- 3 1/2 lbs pork ribs
- 1/2 lb thick cut bacon, low sodium
- 2 lbs sirloin steak
- 3-6 cups hickory wood chips or chunks
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Chili Base:
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes (28oz. cans)
- 2 each poblano pepper, diced
- 12 each garlic cloves
- 2 each green bell pepper, diced
- 1 each red bell pepper, diced
- 2 each serrano pepper, diced
- 3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, fire roasted (15oz can)
- 1-2 oz bourbon
- 2 cups Abita Amber (or any medium bodied ale)
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 can tomato sauce (15oz can)
- 3/4 cup strong black coffee
- First Seasoning:
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp dry rosemary, ground
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- Second Seasoning:
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp New Mexico chili powder
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano
- Coarse salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp masa or corn meal
- Begin by dry rubbing the pork ribs and steaks (I used, John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle Rub), and set aside.
- Cut the strips of bacon in half and lay 3 – 4 slices on top of each Sirloin steak.
- In several shallow sided pans, add your tomatoes, garlic and vegetables
- Now place two handfuls of wood chips into the smoker box and set the temperature to 225°F.
- Place everything inside the smoker, with the pans set on the racks above the meat. Allow steaks and bacon to smoke for 30 – 35 minutes, then remove and tent with foil.
- Stir vegetables and allow them to continue smoking for 2 hours.
- Soak a half cup of wood chips and a half cup of apple cider and add to the smoker box.
- Once the ribs have smoked for a total of 3.5 hours, remove them and tent with foil.
- Rough chop bacon and steaks and set aside.
- Remove the rib meat from the bones, rough chop, and set aside.
- In a 7 quart cast iron pot, heat 2 T. of oil and add in a couple handfuls of the chopped smoked meat.
- Brown meat and deglaze the pot with a splash of bourbon.
- Add smoked vegetables, stir to combine.
- Add Amber beer, beef stock, and stir.
- Add in the rest of the smoked meat and stir to combine.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and coffee.
- Stir in the first group of dry seasonings.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid, and simmer the chili for another 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the burner off and add the second seasonings. (Blend masa / corn meal with just enough water to form a slurry before adding to chili)
- Turn the burner to medium and cook until the chili thickens, serve and enjoy!
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Shop All Departments
BBQ Grills & Smokers